Monday, October 22, 2007

Thing 22

Establishing an account was easy enough, and I found NetLibrary to be user friendly. I was slightly surprised to find that most all the titles are of the academic variety (For example, The United States and the European Trade Movement; Crossing the Minefield: Tactics for Overcoming Today's Toughest Management Challenges; and The Business of Newspapers on the Western Frontier.). I had done author searches for Tony Hillerman and James Patterson, and found nothing. I tried a subject search for "sports" and had just 6 hits, which were more of the business side of sports than the action on the field, or personal reminiscences. I think, for a person who is doing some academic research, or at least wants some in-depth discussion about certain topics, our selections may be appropriate. The general reader, however, won't find much of interest. Another drawback is that, when I did a subject search under "history", and browsed the results, I found several titles listed more than once. On the positive side, I liked that, in looking at a book's index, you can click on a page number and be taken to that specific part of the volume. Also, it's good that you are able to e-mail information. One last thing to mention is that is appears that most all the titles are nonfiction.

No comments: